Re: [pyrnet] Separation anxiety in re: neutering

In a message dated 3/25/01 10:39:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mapleway@iolinc.net writes:

If "fixed" they still guard and (if need be) fight just as well and won't
welcome the predator for sex

I don't want anyone thinking I am against neutering, I am not, but lets keep
our facts in line.  There is down sides to neutering.  The dog can become
obese and less active.  The coat can change and become so profuse it can
become a problem.   These problems are dealt with, traced off for a bigger
good.   Are you sure that Pyrs "welcome predators for sex"?  Give some
documentation of this fact you offer us.

Everyone must realize that the Pyr (s) never worked alone historically except
for short periods of time.  They worked with a Shepherd and other dogs,
including the Berger des Pyrenees (the little herder dog ), who pound for
pound is as ferocious a guardian as any Pyr.  If the inter species breeding
is a problem, one would think the Shepherd would take appropriate steps to
prevent.  I still am not convinced and would really like some solid
information to support what you have said.  I have seen it said before and
have not see the information to support such a blanket assertion.

Now an academic discussion should not be interpreted to infer that I or
anyone else suggests not neutering these dogs.

Joe