Re: [pyrnet] Separation anxiety in re: neutering

In a message dated 3/25/01 2:04:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
woodskk@eburg.com writes:

I doubt if the information is written down but go to a range meeting
or
a sheep producers meeting in the west where the land is more open and
you will be able to talk with people who can attest to what you want.

I really do not want to disagree with you as I fell strongly we should neuter
and spay.  Any downside I may deem in place is pale by comparison to not
doing it as we use our dogs in our contemporary world.
Shepherds in the Pyrenees Mountains dealt with the problem for the last
several thousand years.  I would be surprised if they neutered and quite
surprised if they spayed.  So what did they do if the Pyr will mate with
Wolves and coyotes (no Coyotes in Pyrenees Mountains I do not believe, but
point is there).  Do you think they would loose their guardian instincts
during this period and allow a wolf to mate with them?  Would a male Pyr go
off after a female Wolf in season leaving the sheep?  Also would a male Pyr
be so distracted with a LGD bitch in season, coyote, or wolf that it would
not guard?
Isn't the missing variable the lack of continuous human function in the
actual guarding?  The historical model is a shepherd (s), a LGD (s), and a
herder/guard dog(s).  The shepherds role is just as important to success as
the dogs.  Mostly in our contemporary models the shepherd is missing.  Is
that a fair statement?  If not missing, do they stay out in the field 24/7
with the dogs and livestock?

I would guess that the Shepherd would remove the bitch in season when she
came in.  Removed her far enough away to not be a distraction to the males
present.  Does anyone have any historical references on point?  Will a male
Pyr pursue a female wolf in season?  How about a coyote female in season?
Not a female coydog, but coyote?

Joe