Re: [pyrnet] Separation anxiety in re: neutering

>I don't want anyone thinking I am against neutering, I am not, but
lets keep
>our facts in line.  There is down sides to neutering.  The dog can
become
>obese and less active.  The coat can change and become so profuse it
can
>become a problem.   These problems are dealt with, traced off for a
bigger
>good.   Are you sure that Pyrs "welcome predators for sex"?  Give
some
>documentation of this fact you offer us.

I have a six year old female who was spayed at the age of four after
she had
had one litter.  Her coat is very easy to brush and her weight has not
changed.
My other spayed and neutered dogs are the same.  The only cotton coat
have is on a spayed bitch and is due to the huge amount of coat she
carries.
She is now 10 1/2 years old, still guarding livestock and not fat.
Becoming
fat is from the amount of food, lack of exercise and slowing down with
older age of
which I can personally attest to<bg>
An intact dog will almost always go to a bitch in season in any way
that
he can.  I have had a bitch climb a six foot fence to get to a male
while she
was in season.  When my bitches are cycling the coyotes come in as
close
as they dare without placing themselves in danger.  I have personally
seen
what was either a huge coyote or coydog.  I have talked to people who
I know who have seen a pack of coydogs and coyotes running together.
I have talked to trappers who have seen and removed coydogs.
Male dogs think with their hormones when something is in season, they
don't care whether it is a LGD or whatever.   A big reason for people
have altered animals when they are LGDs is if the bitch is in season
then
the male will be guarding her instead of the animals.  Hormonal
instinct
is usually stronger than guarding instinct.

>Everyone must realize that the Pyr (s) never worked alone
historically except
>for short periods of time.  They worked with a Shepherd and other
dogs,
>including the Berger des Pyrenees (the little herder dog ), who pound
for
>pound is as ferocious a guardian as any Pyr.  If the inter species
breeding
>is a problem, one would think the Shepherd would take appropriate
steps to
>prevent.  I still am not convinced and would really like some solid
>information to support what you have said.  I have seen it said
before and
>have not see the information to support such a blanket assertion.

I doubt if the information is written down but go to a range meeting
or
a sheep producers meeting in the west where the land is more open and
you will be able to talk with people who can attest to what you want.
I was fortunate enough growing up to talk to livestock people of all
ages, very intelligent women and men who were honest and told it like
it was.  An example of what may not be written but was witnessed,
Golden Eagles kill lambs as do Bald Headed Eagles.  Ravens can
kill a calf if it is caught in something.  Cows lay on their calves,
very rare
but it happens.
Kerry