[pyrnet] Newly spayed - and think she is a mother - long

Let me start to assure everybody that I am not trying to re-open the long and heated debate about neuter - and spay - and what it does to the dogs, but I have a bit of a problem here.

I had a 2 ½ year old female - Farise - spayed last thursday, and now she believes she is the mother of my 3 weeks old litter.
Farise was 3 weeks out of season when she was spayed due to having discharge. Up to the time of the spay she was friendly but not out of the ordinary interested in the litter, but 4 days after the spay she started to react differently to the sound of the puppies, being very concerned each time they were crying. And yesterday she started to get in with the puppies, laying down with them, trying to suckle them, nursing them, every bit as careful and loving as if they were her own. The puppies are in the kitchen were the other dogs have to pass through going in and out of the garden. The real mother Sherryl is a very easy going bitch who has no problem with the other dogs being around her puppies. Unfortunately the same can not be said about Farise, who does not want to share "her puppies". She is obsessed with the puppies, jumps over the gate to the kitchen if given a change despite the wound and E. collar, cried most of the time last night because of being denied access to the kitchen, every bit as annoying and singleminded as a male with a bitch in season. She is trying to dig her way through doors - a way of behaving totally out of caracter for her.
Farise has never behaved like this before, no false pregnacies and no attept to take over litters, so I have to believe that the spay brought in on. It may seem a strange thing to happen, but after all being spayed does change hormones, and I have had the very same thing happen to a cat that woke up from a spay to try to take over a litter of kittens, so maybe it is not really so unusual after all, so I want to hear if some of you have had this happen, and if so, how long did it last ?
Also I am in doubt of what will be the best way of dealing with the problem. Do I keep her away from the puppies as much as possible, or do I let her have some time with the puppies, she does seem a little more relaxed after being with them for a while, and she is doing no harm, the puppies are very content to snuggle up to her, climbing all over her, and trying to suckle her, and the mother does not mind. On the other hand maybe being with the puppies will just confirm  her idea that they are hers and prolong the problem.

All inputs are received gratefully.

Lene Nielsen
sandybear@intercity.dk
http://home.intercity.dk/~ic0795/