Re: [pyrnet] Newly spayed - and think she is a mother - long

Lene, I had a spayed bitch that reacted similarly, although she was spayed long before any pups ever made an appearance (years before). Even after the pups were long gone, we could not play the video tape of the pups with the sound on as when she heard them cry, she would run to the whelping room and search for them. She was just an excellent nanny. although, the dam was not as welcoming of her attention to the pups as your's is. But once the pups were weaned, B.B. took over raising them. When a bitch is spayed so soon after concluding a heat cycle (I realize this was necessary for her health) the hormone drop off is very rapid and extreme. This could very well be part of the problem.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com