Re: [pyrnet] Re: Newly spayed - and think she is a mother

She did behave similarly with the another litter the next year, but she lost interest very quickly. Perhaps because there were 9 of them? They got to be too much for her to handle. Although, up until the day she died, if we played that videotape with the sound on she would go looking for them. And be upset when she could not find them. B.B. had a "nanny" personality though. Whenever we brought a new pup into the house, she would take them under her wing, so to speak, and become their friend and protector. She could sense what they needed and provided it for them. If there was a cat fight in the neighborhood, the next time our cat came in the house, she would do a thorough inspection to make sure he was not injured. Our pups were whelped and raised in a separate room, with a door to close them off from the rest of the dogs, if need be, so I don't know how B.B. would have been if the other dogs had walked by when she was with them. She would not let our male Pyr even peek in the door at them, however. If he did so, he was warned in no uncertain terms that he was not allowed inside that room! B.B. had never had a litter of her own as she was dysplastic in one hip. Even before she was spayed she was very solicitous of small animals and those who were scared or upset. She was the same way with the humans in the house. If one of us were sad or upset, she would do everything she could to make us feel better.  It was just her personality.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com