[pyrnet] quiet time( long)

Been a bit quiet on this List lately and for me probably just as well. Having the fire brigade here and then being "stalked" by the first (but not last) of the winter mice has been a bit traumatic for me.

Yes the fire brigade, all sirens screaming, hoses out at the ready came to my house but I did phone them when I saw sparks and small flames and loud bangs coming from the connection to my 100 yr old (recently painted by you know who) cottage!  Now I am not sure what he did when painting around the electrical connections, I can't get a straight answer but gale force winds and torrential rain may have been enough to trigger off "a problem". He was at work, I was on my own so I just dialled 111.  I still see the Firemen sitting in their fire engine laughing loudly but they said I did the "right thing".  In a small town like this they know "him" and obviously knew what he did?  So did the linesman from the Power company. "How's the Cowboy" he asked?

When the Painter arrived home 12 hours later( funnily enough from supervising the unloading of an "ash ship" ) he asked why the Video, clocks, microwave were "flashing".  Had we had a power cut??  No, says I, only after the Fire Brigade rang the Power Company who came and turned the electricity off to do repairs!  Well, a real conversation  stopper believe me!  He is still in denial that anything he did while painting could have contributed to what amounts to in the village of Featherston as "great excitment".  My phone rang for hours, my Step Mother in the local hostelry with her latest boyfriend had heard the news.

This is the man who turned the thermostat up to high when our hot water went cold a couple of years ago. 10 hours later when the water reheated (cut by power board to save power) we had a sauna through the house and had to run all this boiling water off.  The man if who allowed to do plumbing would end up connecting the toilet to the kitchen sink.

Add insult to injury and in came the first of the winter mice. He ran around here like a maniac with me calling" Go away Mouse".  Of course I set the dogs off barking and Kermit saw him and spent hours trying to find his playmate!

So you can see why I have been quiet. I do have a litter due soon and I think that is going to be a very peaceful occasion compared to what I have suffered recently. Is there a place out there in the universe for someone who just wants "a quiet life?"

The colour scheme from the painting?  Wall colours "Scotch Mist". Trims and window surrounds, Brunswick green, vermillion (tinted with black to tone down) and white. Very impressive and was burnt back to the original old wood and then started from scratch with primers and undercoat. The scaffolding he "built" at the front only needed Marie Antoinette and a bunch of old crones knitting to complete the picture but the height of the scaffolding meant he could reach up to where the power lines were and the old wooden framework.  I rest my case.

Jan
Jan Chaplin
Ariege-Roussillon Pyreneans
http://www.geocities.com/janellachaplin or