Re: [pyrnet] Re: Bonbelle

----- Original Message -----
From: JGentzel@aol.com

Early on Bonbelle went to
the West Coast I believe twice, winning both times (once in USA and once in
Canada) under French Judges.  That did not help her out much with the
disparaging comments as she was still young and not in full maturity.  The
"talking heads" out there simply interpreted her to the masses and the
masses, as usual, gobbled it all up and called it the gospel.>>

You know Joe, as one of those people "out there" (though not sure if I am
among your disparaged class of "talking heads") I'm having some problems
with this backhanded *junk*.  Firstly Bonbelle never came to Western Canada.
She did come out for Brush Prairie and was WB under Mansecal.  And although
I generally don't like doing this kind of thing, I point out what you well
know, which is that at that show a dog bred by me who was *only* 1/4 French
(gasp!!) was WD, BOW, Best of Breed.  And Kim Lasley's Brandy was BOS.
Bonbelle did not sweep the field and jealousy certainly didn't come into
play.  And although she was not an "old" dog she was 4.75 years old at that
show and certainly mature enough.  At that show her daughter Mimi (sired by
Dahir) owned by Carolyn Hardy and Mike Floyd was chosen Best Expression.
Mimi went on several years later to be WB under Pecoult.  The same male of
mine, now a champion, was BOB again.  The point??  That it is careless,
unfair and incorrect to assume, let alone say, that the people "out here"
were dismissive of Bonbelle. And who in the hell are "the masses"? People
with reasonable opinions of their own might deeply resent the inplication
that they were/are being led!!  However, I would like to add that it does
neither Bonbelle nor the breed any service to turn her into some sort of
living canine Saint.  All dogs (even French ones) have faults and Bonbelle
has her share also.  And to assume that to recognize and even discuss those
faults is motivated by jealousy or some form of blindness is counter
productive.  It has the tendency to stop converasation and learning in its
tracks.

In defense of the people "out there" I would like to point out that the GPCA
Northwest Regional Specialty is the only specialty in the country that has
invited (and paid for) two French judges to come and judge.  And French
blood has always run in the dogs out here.  Long before Bonbelle, and you
know that too.  So the next time that you are inclined to promote your point
of view by denegrating others, it might be helpful to think twice about the
facts.

Linda