[pyrnet] Hi, I'm new here

Hi,
 I'm new here to the list, I wanted to join to get more information about
Pyr's. I thought who better to ask but Pyr owners.
After about 8 month's of research(library, books, breed assoc. etc I did not
have the internet at the time) I purchased a male Pyr puppy for my daughter.
We live on a farm so having a large dog was not a problem. Also I have
owned, St. Bernards before so I'm used to the trials, medical problems etc.
of giant breeds.
All of the information I received about Pyr's told of a gentle temperament,
patient with children, aloof but never aggressive, and so on.
This discription does not discribe my dog.
I know now, (told by trainers) that I picked the wrong puppy in the litter.
All the pups were bouncing happily, but Zeus (that's his name) was shy and
shivering scared in the corner. My heart ached for him, and the rest is
history.
He was the quietest puppy I have ever seen. Afraid of everything. I tried to
socialize him, I took him everywhere. When he reached about 10 month's of
age, his fear started turning to aggression. I immediately had him neutered.
 Instead of running and hiding, he'd, (most definitely afraid), would try to
attack the offending object. Ie: the lawn mower, vacuum etc. Also he became
food aggressive. Would attack my female 14yr old Sheppard if she just walked
in the same room if he had food in his bowl.
Then his aggression started to turn towards people. Mostly, people he didn't
know, would bark and growl, show teeth, with hackles raised.
Finally, he nipped my three year old daughter in the face, when she tried to
get him out of the fridge.
He is now 15 months old, he has been sent to a Aggression Behaviorist, I
couldn't give up on him, just yet. I'm hoping that because he's still young
that there's hope for him to come around.
I love him to much not to try, I couldn't bear the thought of putting him to
sleep, but I also will not put my children in danger.
 I am told he on his way to being a new dog. I hope there right.
Any ways, I just wondered if this was an issue that sometimes creeps up in
Pyr's?
Also, I would really like some of your thought's, and maybe a good
discription of what a Pyr is really like, both the positive and the
negative.
They are such beautiful animals, and most of the time my Zeus is just a big
lovable teddy bear (with a dark side)
I still think that I was meant to pick Zeus, I shudder to think what would
have happened to him if someone got him and wasn't willing to emotionally
and financially to get him the help he needs. What would they have done? Put
him to sleep? God forbid, Breed him?
I thank you in advance for any imput,

Sariena Foley
Ontario Canada