Re: [pyrnet] Hi, I'm new here

Sariena, Welcome to the list! This is really a list of caring
folks who love the breed and want to help each other, even though
it may not seem so, occasionally. <G> All comments that have been
made to you in reply to your original post were made out of care
and concern for you and your family. I hope you'll hang in there
with us. It is obvious to me that you are an intelligent and
caring person. You have gone the extra mile to do what is best
for your family and your dog. I still need to reiterate that when
this dog comes back to you, you must be ever vigilant. One slip
up can mean tragedy. Now, I will relate to you the story of my
very first Pyrenees. We bought an 11 week old puppy back in
August of 1989. We had no idea how to find a reputable breeder as
we had always had mutts previously. We checked around here at Pet
Stores in NJ and found the cost prohibitive. (they were not as
available in Pet Stores here back then) My sister, who lived in
WV, saw an ad for Pyr pups for $250.00, so we drove down there
and bought Poke. (we named him for my son's favorite story,
"Pokey Little Puppy") We brought him home and he was ill from the
get go. Coccidia at first, then one thing after another. We did
not know about growing large breeds slowly and he developed
Panosteitis at about 6 months of age. He was in a tremendous
amount of pain. About this time, I was babysitting for a friend's
2 year old child. I turned my back for but a moment, and there
she was, stomping all over his poor, sore legs! And I do mean
STOMPING! She evidently thought it was hilarious that it made him
cry out. She was put on the sofa, and not allowed to get down
until the Mother returned, about a half hour later. I then told
the Mother that I would no longer watch her child as she had
never been taught to be gentle with animals. And yes, it can be
taught, even at such a young age. I know because my children were
taught this way. A few weeks later, we had his hips exrayed. Poor
dog had the worst set of hips I've ever seen. I still have those
plates so I can show people what poor breeding can do. When Poke
was 12 days less than a year old, he was out in the yard playing
with my daughter and the older sister of the child that had
stomped his legs. The child that had stomped his legs came
running over and put her hand on his back while he was focused on
the ball the other 2 girls were holding. He turned his head and
there it was, a gash down the side of her face right next to her
left eye. 1/4 inch closer and that eye would have been history.
All of this happened in a matter of seconds. I was outside, not
10 feet from where this happened, but there was no time to react.
Should a 2 1/2 year old been wandering down the street
unsupervised by a parent? No. But the fact remains, my dog still
bit her. He had never been aggressive with my own children. Was
it an accident? Perhaps. But when my husband grabbed the dog to
put him in the dog pen, he attacked him. The dog weighed 98 lbs.
at the time. My husband did manage to subdue him. 10 days later
(required waiting period by law) I had the dog destroyed. It
broke my heart. He loved me unconditionally and was most
definitely, My Dog. We had seen signs of dominance with him
previously, but nothing excessive prior to his biting my husband
in the face. This had occurred when we had relatives visiting and
there were 3 unruly children in a very small house. (plus my own
2 kids) Lots of chaos. My Vet suggested neutering, which we did.
He also suggested that the circumstances might warrant giving the
dog another chance. Which we did. I have always regretted it.
This was a dog who was afraid of nothing. He was a loving, sweet
dog who had never been aggressive with my own children. His bite
caused a great deal of pain to a very small child, a LOT of
heartache for our family as well as his victim's family. And a
$90,000.00 lawsuit settlement which our homeowner's insurance
paid. Then they promptly cancelled our policy. I learned a very
valuable lesson. I have a zero tolerance policy for human
aggression. Barring of course, one that can be explained and
treated for medically. I knew that this was not true Pyr
temperament, and I eventually bought a well bred puppy in 1990. I
still have him today. I've had several Pyrs since then, all well
bred and all of reliable temperament. Behaviorists (if it is not
a genetic problem) and Vets (if it is caused by a medical
problem) can do wonderful things. But please, err on the side of
caution and make no mistakes when the dog is interacting with
your children. One small mistake can mean tragedy. I do not
tolerate food agression towards humans at all. Do I think that
Poke was exhibiting bite inhibition when he bit that child? You
bet I do! He could have just as easily killed her, in a
heartbeat. Was I about to give him one more chance, absolutely
not! In my mind, he is at peace now, whole in both mind and body.
He was my first Pyr and I loved him with all my heart. But he was
a dangerous dog and needed to go the way that such dogs must. He
should never have been bred, and his breeders should be drawn and
quartered. Was it Poke's fault that he was that way? No it
wasn't. Again, I commend you for going the extra mile. I wish you
all the best and I sincerely hope that the behaviorist is a good
one and his assessment of your dog an accurate one. I am involved
in Pyr Rescue and I've on occasion been the one to cry over a
poorly bred dog that was being euthanized by me for poor
temperament. When I've a bit more time, I'll tell you the story
of Milton, the 5 month old Rescue puppy. (you just may need to
remind me as middle age has a firm hold on my brain, or lack
thereof <G>)

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com