Re: [pyrnet] Hi, I'm new here

Hi Sariena, welcome to the list!  Lately it's been quiet, but most of the
time it is busy.

A lot of people will warn about taking the shy quiet pup, it often comes
up in books.  I often wonder what happens to that quiet fearful dog, if
no one takes it?  I can't say that I have ever really had a problem with
that, and I have often taken the shy reserved pup.

I give you lots of credit for making every attempt to deal with this
situation with your fur child.  It is hard to say why he behaves this way
without knowing what type of experiences he has had in his young life.
Mostly Pyrs. are gentle loving dogs, that are good with children and
protective.  At the same time they are a breed that has had to think for
themselves, and can easily be dominant if they think they can get away
with it, or if they think they need to be.  While this starts endless
arguments on the list, the need to understand the nip also plays in.  I'm
not advocating that children be allowed to be bitten, but I do believe in
trying to understand why a dog nips/bites.

As in all dogs ( and people too ) there is a wide variety of
personalities.  I have four siblings that are wonderful with kids when
they see them, grumbly at times with us when asked to do things, and will
fight with each other at times.
I also have a big fellow that we took in after he was left to stave in a
gravel pit in 110 degree Texas weather.  Gulliver is endlessly happy and
easy going and apparently appreciative of being taken in.  He is so
loveable he is a pain at times.

Make sure you really understand what has been done with the dog, and what
their expectations for you will be in dealing with him.  Continue to get
help.  Don't be fearful of bringing him back home least you set up a
pattern for failure.  You have done a good thing, you are a responsible
fur child parent, and I give you much credit.  Use the list and respect
your own judgment.

Will be thinking positively for continued good results! :-)
Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas