Re: RE: [pyrnet] Hi, I'm also new here

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
>On the other hand, I am concerned that her Pyr
>protectiveness will always make her an "unfriendly" and aloof dog and I
>wonder if I'll really be able to socialize her properly so she is
>confident
>with children/strangers.  I am also concerned about fear-biting since I
>keep
>hearing most biting comes from fear instead of real aggression.  Any
>thoughts about whether this is normal behavior or suggestions?
Adrienne, I don't think this is "normal" behavior, but you may just have
to learn to live with some of it! We have a girl who is never going to let
strangers pet her....willingly. The difference is that she never so much
as growls at anyone, although she'll bark of course when someone comes to
the door. As soon as we let them in, she retreats, usually under the table
in the dining room. That's progress--she used to go into the bathroom! She
was not abused--we didn't get her until she was an adult, but we know the
breeder, and they kept her as a show prospect until they realized that her
temperament meant she was totally unsuited.
In terms of your dog's reaction to hikers etc., others may have more
suggestions than I do. Paddington would do that on very rare occasions,
but only when someone came up behind us suddenly and he didn't hear them
approach. One tip would be to really work with a couple of obedience
commands, until they become 2nd nature, and then put your dog, for
example, into a sit-stay when you see someone approaching. Proof-test the
dog in circumstances that don't evoke the protective reaction first to
make sure (s)he understands the command itself.
Good luck!
Ann, Peg and Ivy Rose