Re: [pyrnet] RE: pyrnet-l-digest.20010522-2

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
> What can I start to do, today
>to prepare for kids, without scaring other people's kids with my big dog?
Melissa, our dogs were not raised around kids, but we never had a problem.
Both Shelley and Paddington were therapy dogs who visited the Kennedy Day
School here in Boston, a facility for children with severe birth defects,
and were unendingly patient with kids whose lack of coordination often
meant a finger in the eye, waiting long moments for the child to pick up a
cookie to give it to them, etc. We did make a point, when walking them, to
always ask people with children if their kids would like to pet the dogs.
We found that most children are not afraid of pyrs--the fluffy white fur
and gentle faces don't seem scary and more than make up for the size. This
was our way of making up for the fact that we don't have children around
our house. Hope this is helpful.
Ann, Peg and Ivy Rose