[pyrnet] When is it appropriate for a dog to bite? Society's reactions

Heard a story on the local radio station yesterday, that sort of addresses this situation.  First, some background info. We live in a summer resort area, not far from Seaside, NJ. We have a LOT of out of towners here during the summer. Mostly from NYC and North Jersey. That said, this is basically what occurred according to what I heard on the radio. Man owns business on Seaside, NJ Boardwalk. Man's business is closed, and he has 2 attack trained Rottweilers guarding the business. Dogs are inside a 6 or 8 foot chainlink fence that surrounds the business. 17 year old boy, from a city area up farther north in NJ, climbs fence (even though it is posted with signs that there are protection dogs inside) and proceeds to get attacked by the dogs. Enter local Police on the scene. Police shoot and kill dogs to free the boy. (this scenario occured once previously, several months ago with a man from Brooklyn, NY with the same 2 dogs) Now, in the previous break in on the property, when the man laid down, the dogs laid beside him. When he got up to try to escape, the dogs brought him down and held him until the owner and police arrived. My understanding in this latest instance, was that this 17 year old kid was not severely injured. The big question at this point is whether or not they will file charges against this boy! Certainly they should file criminal charges against this boy! He committed a criminal act! And, the owner should have redress from the boy's parents for the cost of replacing the dogs! And perhaps the Police as well! These dogs were well bred, professionally and well trained property protection dogs. If the young man had laid down or sat down, the dogs would have done the same. These dogs knew their job and did it well. These dogs probably cost several thousand dollars apiece. Were the dogs at fault? Not at all. The boy was certainly at fault and I think the Police that shot the dogs were at fault. What's your opinion?

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com