Re: [pyrnet] chronic diarrhea

----- Original Message -----
From: "Custode, Adrienne" <acustode@rational.com>

tons of filler
(like corn which passes right through them but can't be digested) >>

I certainly don't want to get into a discussion of various types of dog food
and what may or may not be in them except to say that I feed a very
inexpensive food made in the west, feed it to all my dogs of all ages and
stages and have no food allergies and no skin problems and no digesgive
issues except connected to real illness.  However, I do want to address
this.  It is simply NOT true that corn passes right throuh dogs and can't be
digested.  If that were true there would not be so many satisfactory corn
based foods.  Corn eaten off the cob is often not disgested.  The corn in
dog food and the corn eaten by millions of Latin Americans is not eaten in
kernel form but dried and ground and often treated with lime.  And this form
of corn is the staple of the diet of these people and completely digestible
(for dogs too)  If we're going to talk about food, let's be sure that we
understand what really happens.  BTW, the most common food allergens in dog
food are beef and wheat.

Linda