RE: [pyrnet] chronic diarrhea

You are right, I probably exaggerated a bit when I said "it passes right
through them", but it IS less digestible than rice for example. I used to
feed foods which included corn as a major ingredient and I was picking up
after the pups several times a day.  Since I went with foods which don't use
corn as an ingredient, their waste is much smaller and less frequent.  I
think this is part of the problem with the premium grade dog foods I
mentioned previously... they are much richer and as a result are often tough
on sensitive stomachs.  I am not a dog food expert, but I have read many
articles on the subject of preservatives, byproducts, digestibility etc, and
I've had to modify the diet of my beast to try to address her reactions.
I've also lost 2 dogs to cancer who were fed cheap foods preserved with
ethoxyquin for most of their lives which caused me to seek out more
information.  Much of the info on the web has to be taken with a grain of
salt because it is produced by the companies who are manufacturing the
foods.

Here is an independent link which defines what is in the dog foods and talks
about how to interpret the labels:
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/wolfepack/foodcht1.html
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/wolfepack/premium.html

One other note which I think pertains to humans and dogs... when you
discover the diarrhea, you can try putting well cooked brown/white rice into
their food and it can temporarily help to address the issue until you figure
out the cause.

Hope this helps.
-adrienne in CO