[pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20010807

In a message dated 8/8/2001 12:09:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
pyrnet-l-owner@pyrnet.org writes:

Cody is just starting to blow his coat now.  But All along I have been
really
brushing him well at least once a week to get out undercoat which causes
his
hot spots. Starting at the bottom and working upward over his body, I part
his hair with one hand so that I can see pink skin or undercoat, I brush
with
wire brush and continually move hand, part, brush until I have covered
everything.  Then I take a rake and gently rake through coat to grab
loosened
undercoat.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Adrienne,
this has also worked for me , for many years---
I "deep groom" my Pyrs. also, but,had found that the humidity, (wet air) was
one of the causes of "hot spots", as the moisture gets caught  in the
undercoat next to the skin-
So, instead of brushing the coat smooth after the "deep grooming", fluff it
up !! Brush the coat back, (against the grain) and leave it that way !  This
lets the oxygen to the skin, and every time that the dog walks past you, run
your hand over the dog, (esp. the rump area) to fluff the hair up again !
I've done this for several years--it does help with the "moisture" and the
fungus problem, (which I know about, down here in Florida!)
best
PamCroy