Re: [pyrnet] Is this a sign of intelligence?

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
> But what amazes me is that if the ball rolls
>under a table or chair, if she can't get at it the way it went in, she
>goes around the
>other side to see where it came out.
I think these dogs have amazing problem-solving ability. When Paddington
was just a puppy--10-12 weeks--we were playing in the parking lot of our
apartment building during the day, with him on a long line. The first time
the ball I threw went under a car, he went to look under where the ball
went; the 2nd time he saw the ball heading in that direction, he went
around the other side to wait for it to come out. I was totally amazed.
And the girls we have now do the same thing you describe when guests come
or go. They know exactly which windows to head for. They also know that on
particularly active days (on the street) when we pull the shades in the
living room to curb their barking, it's worth checking to see if there's a
better view from upstairs! Right now, with a new 16-month-old in the
house, we wish they weren't quite so smart or curious! She comes up with
the darnedest things that we haven't thought to say "NO" to yet!!
Ann, Peg, Ivy Rose and Tori (Darn!! She took away the phone directory
before I even got to make a call!)