Re: [pyrnet] Puppy Lola

In a message dated 08/18/2001 11:35:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
BmaMedic@aol.com writes:

<< I do not regret it nor do I look for pity.  I
 want a healthy pet who will live a wholesome life.  Am I wrong?

Matt,
    I don't think you are wrong at all. I do think that you should request
that all Lola's medical bills for this be covered and get that in writing. If
the vet is 80% sure that Lola will recover, I think those are pretty good
odds. I just think you should keep in mind that a breeder that let an
obviously ill puppy go to a new home, may not be a person that planned this
litter with the betterment of the breed foremost in their mind. In other
words, you have no idea what other genetic problems may crop up from this
breeding. I think you just have to take a strong look at yourself and
consider if you can deal with these issues emotionally, financially and
physically. Of course, you have no guarantee that if you return Lola and get
another puppy, that this puppy will not have other issues.
    My first Pyr came from a breeder who let me take him at 5-6 weeks. He had
a skin problem that turned out to be mange. He had allergies all his life and
had to have both knees operated on because of patella luxation. He also had
to be put down at the age of 8 because of a spinal disorder. BUT, his
character and personality were fantastic and I don't regret having kept him.
He is the reason I am still a Pyr owner.

Elaine and Pico (2 year old Pyr)