Re: [pyrnet] A long story revisited

I have been reading the responses to the original Angus email and now have
read yours, Denise. At the risk of being taken to task, my opinion differs
from others.  Since Angus has never exhibited this type of biting, aggressive
behavior prior to this one occurrence, and has never been aggressive with the
boy who was bitten prior to this episode, I would not euthanize Angus.

There is a very good chance that something else was going on in his mind.  I
have had 3 Pyrs.  Each had a different personality some friendlier than
others. Some more territorial than others.  Our current Pyr, Cody, was a
registered Therapy Dog - I called a halt to our therapy visits to nursing
homes, etc. because after six months, Cody absolutely hated the attention and
petting and noise surrounding the visits.  He was beginning to plaster
himself to the wall and head for the exit within five minutes.  My point is
that the other Pyr in our group did not stress out as therapy dog the way
Cody did.  For a year after I retired him I was very watchful when someone
approached him because he just did not want to be petted period. He is fine
now -- so perhaps a watchful eye over Angus and behavioral and/or obedience
experts are the answer.  If Angus should ever exhibit any type of aggressive
behavior that would be it.  It goes without saying that you may not be able
to relax your guard - But I would have a difficult time making a do or die
decision now.  Something was going on.

I am not a careless dog owner, I have been attached by dogs myself so I am
not taking this lightly.  But I caution on the side of time.

Diana