Re: [pyrnet] A long story revisited

Denise, I truly sympathize with the heart-rending decisions you are having
to make about Angus. I sense that you're one of those of us who give your
heart totally to anyone you take in/on--human or otherwise!
It sounds as if you have made interim decisions that honor the needs of
the boy who was bitten while giving you time to decide about your future
with Angus. I'm pretty sure that i would do the same thing, if at all
possible. I think Barb's advice about consulting an animal behaviorist is
really good. I would be very careful to keep Angus confined, and under
restraint whenever he is in any kind of new or potentially threatening
situation. I know I'm too much of a softie to ever make the hard decisions
that are often necessary when evaluating dogs for Rescue, or even to be a
breeder--I'd never be able to let the puppies go, for one thing!! When
you're placing one of these large dogs in a home you can't know very well,
there's tremendous need for caution. But if you can provide a really
secure environment for Angus and are willing to do what is necessary to
prevent future incidents, I would take some time, get professional advice,
etc. before making that ultimate decision.
Recognize, of course, that this is from an incurable pyr-lover with
limited experience (on our 4th and 5th pyrs) and no professional expertise!
Ann, Peg, Ivy Rose and Tori