[pyrnet] Re: Intro & new pup question

Hi Phil,
Welcome to the list!  I also recently got a Pyr puppy.  Panda is now 9 months
old (boy, time flies!!) and growing like a weed.  I had a lot of the same
observations you've had thus far, and thought my experiences might be helpful
to you.

I got Panda a plastic swimming pool this summer, thinking she would like the
water.  She was VERY cautious about it at first -- standing next to it,
sniffing the water, putting in one toe, etc. etc.  Now whenever she sees me
pulling the pool out of the garage she immediately goes to the spot in the
yard where I typically fill it up and waits for me.  I plop the empty pool
down, she climbs in and sits regally in the center.  Then I fill the pool
with her sitting in it.  The whole time she just sits there like she's
sitting on a throne.   After 30 minutes or so of essentially soaking her tush
she gracefully stands, steps out of the pool, and doesn't look back until the
next time I bring it out.  (Yeah, I've examined her hind quarters to see if
she had inflammation or other signs of a medical problem that would be eased
by soaking in water, and see nothing.  I figure Panda simply thinks she is
too sophisticated to flop around in a plastic tub like your average dog.)

Panda adores going for  walks.  I've noticed, however, that during the first
part of the walk she is eager to get moving and see what's around the next
corner.  As soon as she realizes we're turning for home, however, she
immediately starts to thoroughly examine every single tree, stick, bush,
weed, pebble, crack, speck of dust ..... in every yard we pass.  I'm sure
she's doing it to lengthen her walk.

Finally, yeah, I'd encourage the obedience training.  Panda also pulled a
great deal during our first couple of months, but has now improved
substantially.  Consistency seems to be critical, as I've noticed Panda pulls
more with me if someone else has walked her recently and allowed pulling (I
don't).  Once Panda figures out there is a different human on the other end
of the leash -- namely, me -- she is much better behaved.

Best of luck with your new family member, and welcome to the list!

Lisa, Panda the Pyr, and two rather bewildered cats
Rochester, New York