Date: Friday, August 31, 2001 16:02:28
Subject: [pyrnet] Cruciate Ligament Disease

Hi Folks!

One of my Pyrs is a 6 y/o male. My vet told me that he has Cruciate Ligment
Disease. I didn't realize that Cruciate is a disease-I thought it's caused
only by injury. The giant breeds are prone to this by the time they reach 6
years of age. He's taking Cartrophen injections and Glucosamine as of now.

Vet says there's many causes for this. Weight, breed, age, genetics,
conformation, and intensity/exercise. He's only allowed outside to do his
business on a leash, absolutely no running or playing with the other dogs,
and no jumping.

The vet feels he has only strained the ligment. 30-40% of dogs will rupture
the other leg within 1 year without treatment.

I'm very active with my dogs. Oh, he's going to hate it sitting on the
sidelines now!

Wondering if any other Pyr owner/breeder has experienced this? I'm trying
to find more information on the net, but it's the same info over and over.

Any info. will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Sonia
Winnipeg, Canada