Re: [pyrnet] Cruciate Ligament Disease

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack & Charlotte Perry" <pyreau@erols.com>

We've had Pyrs for a lot of years
and have known many more, but have never heard of such a thing! >>

Sonia, I agree with Charlotte.  I have never heard the term "cruciate
disease".  Cruciate ligament strains, ruptures and tears happen.  A lot
(most?) of these are caused by trauma but there does seem to be a familial
link in some breeds.  Rotts and Mastiffs are very prone to cruciate
problems.  Of couse, the genetic "link" may simply be their size or the rear
structure.  Strained or "frayed" cruciates can repair themselves without
surgery but it does take a lot of enforced rest.  And if the cause is not
completely trauma, yes another injury is not beyond expectation.  I disagree
with your vet's observation that "giant breeds are prone to this by the time
they reach 6".  That is surely not true of Pyrs, but then I don't consider
them a true "giant" breed anyway.  Cruciate injuries are not common, but
they are equally not rare.  Charlotte is also correct in her mention of
patellar luxation.  It is not uncommon to see the onset of PL in dogs in
their teens.  From 10-16 or so months.  It will be interesting if we can
ever find out if these two onsets (puppy and teen) have different genetic
mechanisms.  Puppy luxations tend to be medial (as are almost all in small
breeds) but older luxations tend to be lateral.  Also, there may be some
link between PL and cruciate ruptures.

I agree with Charlotte and Barb that I would get an appointment for a
consult with an orthopod.

I know that you have searched the web.  One of the reasons that the
information all seems the same is that the condition is pretty much the
same.  that being said, here is a good link for you or others that has many
links to information about cruciate ruptures and repairs.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/6191/index1.html

Also a good opportunity to remind people to submit their dogs health
information to the GPCA Health Survey.  We want dogs with problems of
course, but we also want dogs without problems.  Good health is good news.

Go to:
http://www.servtech.com/public/kreiter/Survey_Info.html

Linda Weisser
GPCA Health Committee