Re: [pyrnet] Cruciate Ligament Disease

----- Original Message -----
From: "merrirfave" <merrirfave@icehouse.net>

Go to Kuvasz Club of America and click Health (article
Dr. Carol Graham) >.

I know Carol Graham and I respect her.  I am quoting a section from that
article because I want to make a couple of observations vis a vis Pyrs.

"The most common cause of hindleg lameness in the Kuvasz is anterior
cruciate ligament injury of the stifle joint (knee). The lameness is usually
of sudden onset with a characteristic holding up of the affected leg. The
dog may marginally improve and toe touch the leg to the ground. The dog will
sit with the affected leg off to the side. The damage to the ligament allows
the femur and the tibia to slip when the dog puts his weight on the leg and
this causes the characteristic gait. If the ligament is not replaced by
surgery, arthritis will occur resulting in permanent lameness or pain.

Cruciate ligament damage is diagnosed by palpation of laxity (looseness) in
the stifle joint. However, in dogs with long standing lameness the joint
capsule will thicken and prevent the "drawer sign" thus frustrating
diagnosis. Radiographs may help in the ruleout of other concurrent problems.
"

The most common cause of hindleg lameness in Pyrs under about 16-18 months
is not cruciate damage but patella luxation.  I found it really interesting
that it is not the most common in Kuvasz also.  Dogs with luxating patellas,
especially young dogs also exhibit that characteristic flexing and holding
of the leg up.  As a matter of fact, that is usually a dead give away.
Patella luxation is also diagnosed by the palpation of laxity in the stifle
joint, although it is a different kind of laxity.  PL dogs have loose
kneecaps which can be moved out of line to the side.  Cruciate ligment dogs
exhibit that "drawer sign" in which the joint slides out and back like an
opening and closing drawer.  I found it interesting that thickening of the
capsule can prevent the drawer sign.  That's one really good reason for
getting expert and early diagnosis of any persistent limp.

Linda