Re: [pyrnet] average height

In a message dated 10/11/2001 10:32:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pcrogers@home.com writes:

OK, just have to ask a couple of silly questions here.

Luka is 5 months old, and 20" at the shoulder.

Just wondering if this is the average height at this age. Trying to get a little perspective on her final size at maturity.

Also, the hair from mid back to her tail seems to be mostly guard hairs, and not the
fluffy undercoat type she had when I picked her up at 12 weeks. Is this the normal time
that the final coat starts to make it's appearance with the undercoat filling in later?

I know, I know  silly questions and obviously of no concern to her, just curious.

Pyrs can vary a great deal at their adult size. The standard calls for a female to range between 25-29 inches at the shoulder. I have seen only one female under this size, and only a few as high as 29", so I'd say your girl should grow at least another 6-7 inches. My female Bella reached her full height at around 1 yr. of age. After that it takes about 2 more years for them to fully mature by filling out their frames. Your girl will look even more like a skinny teenager than she may now until she passes 12-18 months of age.  From your description of her coat it sounds like she's lost her puppy undercoat, and hasn't begin to grow her winter coat yet. During the summer months adult pyrs shed most of their soft undercoat, which grows back. At her young age your girl probably won't have much of a coat this winter, but wait until next year, she'll be much more filled out, and have a great deal more coat. Then you can experience your first coat "blowing"  the following spring.

In reference to measuring, I've always measured from the floor to the high point on their shoulder.    Charlie