[pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20011019

In a message dated 10/20/2001 12:01:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, pyrnet-l-owner@pyrnet.org writes:

Reedialer1@aol.com Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Good Morning  re:   reading dogs pam, i read about this a while ago. there is a website for R.E.A.D, reading education assistance dogs, and i think its a wonderful program. i even spoke to one of the women who started this idea. i wanted to pilot it in my school (elementary) but it didnt seem to go over very well. i needed to have a group of therapy dog certified volunteers (they are best coz they come with their own insurance, for example TDI has $25k i think).  its a wonderful program. i guess we are a little backwards in nj coz in my area they wont even let dogs into hospitals when they are certified>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Reedialer1,
Yeah, from what I heard and was told at the initial meeting on Thursday, this will also be an uphill struggle~~The county that I live in tends to be much more close-minded, protective,conservative, than many others~~which, is, in a way, a suprise, since this is a big College Town and therfore, should be very open to new ideas(at least , in My opinion~
We are looking at differant ways to make sure that We can tell these educators that the dogs have been temperment tested, most of them are already Therapy Dogs anyway, are covered by Insurance thru the Humane society, and have been thru obedience classes and temperment testing by the local Humane Society down here, before they're allowed to visit the Nursing homes~I did just find out that, (thru the help/work ), of one of the R.N.'s down here, they now have dogs in Shands Hospital~~
Sooooooo, small steps and big steps~~one at a time  !!
thanks for the comments
Pam Croy
PYRALIVE@AOL.COM