[pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20011019

Hi, gang!  I've now been a pyr owner for four whole weeks.  I adopted Mattie, who is
now about 10 months old.

Congratulations on acquiring Mattie! She does look sweet, but I think most Pyrs have that sweet, "innocent" look, even when they're not so innocent! LOL!

As for toys, Newman loves his squeaky balls and this cheapo squeaky dog newspaper. Actually, he loves anything that will make NOISE. He also loves his rope toy. You should see him shake it! I can't see how he does that, because it's bound to HURT when it hits him (it certainly hurts ME when he does it and  it hits me!). He loves to retrieve (though I've heard that generally Pyrs don't like to retrieve). But mostly, his favorite chew toys are anything he can "steal" that he knows he's not supposed to have!

I've got a question...I think I posted here before that I took Newman to this mobile vet clinic when he had mange, and that I took him back last week and the vet's dog BIT him. Now I notice that on the eyelid where the dog's tooth caught him, it looks like he has a little "bump". I can't tell if it's scar tissue or a cyst. It doesn't seem to bother him, but it bothers the HECK out of ME!  The question is, what would any of YOU guys do?  I'm really upset because every time he looks up at me I can see this "bump", and if it's permanent then it's going to ALWAYS bother me. It really makes me mad.

About the pawing...Newman paws quite a bit, and I really need to get him to cut it out. My father-in-law's skin is very brittle and thin, and twice now Newman has actually drawn blood "patting" at him. Naturally, he doesn't mean to hurt, but it's still a problem. How do I teach him not to paw without hurting his feelings? (I know that's a stupid way to put it, but I know Newman does it to be friendly, and I hear it's also a submissive gesture, so I'm not sure how to deal with it.)

Rhonda