[pyrnet] Onions and garlic

Garlic and onions are in the same family. And you have come to the same
question I have - why is one good and one toxic?

Again, I think its quantity and the need to balance all foods that you feed.

If a pound of onions could conceivably be toxic to a 100 pound Pyr,
I am certain a pound of garlic ingested at one time would be also. But we
feed garlic in teaspoons or tablespoons.

Many foods in excess are toxic. According to Balch in "Prescription for
Wellness" large amounts of parsely are toxic to humans. But since we rarely
get more than a sprig on a plate for decoration, the warning about parsley
in rarely given. And the issues of raisins and chocolate and dogs was
addressed awhile ago. Its all in the amounts.

I personally would continue with the garlic. It really is a very good addition
to a dog's (and our) diets.

Regards,

Carol
carol@naturaldogfood.com