Re: [pyrnet] My beautiful boy is gone

In a message dated 12/22/01 10:58:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, lochsloy@eagnet.com writes:

It is funny the things that are so insignificant but that mean so much. The
comfort of hearing his claws come clicking down the hall. Turning in a big
circle. And then doing what we called his (patented pyr plop) on to the hall
floor. His exasperated sigh when he didn't get his way. The goofy grin on
his face in one of his rare puppyish moments when he would romp and play. I
will miss him so much more then I can say or express.  My heart is broken
and my soul weeps.

This is the hardest part of loving this wonderful breed.  Whether old or young it is never easy.  With the old ones you see it coming but suffer along with them trying to decide which is their last day and pray they will "just die" so you do not have to make that dreadful decision.  The young ones are very hard.

The memories are very special.  They always leave us with more than they take away in sorrow.  The most poignant words I ever saw about the missing of their Pyrs was from Lady Sybel Grant who bred Pyrs in England about 1910.  She had been asked by Madame Harper to write about her dog many years later. Here is what she said:

"Their names were: "Patou, Patz, Putz, Néthou, Pastoure, Pastourette, Amoureuse, Ténébreuse, Allumeuse, Basque, Salome and many more. Oh, Madam de Trois- Fontaines-why did you ask me to write about them? They come: lovely, white, faithful ghosts-trooping softly with light tread, across my heart-not so lightly but that they leave an ache behind which will be never quite stilled."

I can simply exchange the names "Harvey, Panda, McDoughal, Guy, Esmerelda, Sam, etc."  The "ache is never quite stilled" as Lady Grant says, but the memories are the sweetest and only increases the affection.  If you are lucky, soon, another will fill part of the space left vacant in your heart.

Merry Christmas (Happy Holidays) to all on the list and a wondrous New Year.

Joe