Re: [pyrnet] Urgent! Only has 2 days/7 mth male Pyr

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barb Bowes" <bamb@monmouth.com>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 7:27 PM
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Urgent! Only has 2 days/7 mth male Pyr

> You know, the ignorance of people who get these dogs for
> livestock guarding just amazes me! Of course he's chasing
> livestock, he's a PUPPY! With probably little or no training on
> how to behave, to boot!
> Barb Bowes

Unfortunately this is all too common. People who don't really understand the
breed think you can just put a puppy out with livestock. And it will
instinctually know what to do. We get a lot of "LGD failures" in rescue.
Usually from the idiots who don't realize that there is training and bonding
with the livestock involved in producing a successful LGD. Usually they
assume it is a failure on the part of the dog. It would never occur to them
that they are the problem. This is in no way aimed at the people who have
successful LGD's. The people who know what they are doing. And are
responsible with and for their livestock dogs. I don't want a
misunderstanding here. While the rescue group I am associated with do not
place dogs as LGD's. I know that being a livestock guardian is what these
dogs were breed to do. And the ones who where properly trained to do this
job. Love their job. And do it very well. But unfortunately all too many
dogs fall into the hands of people who haven't the slightest clue what they
are doing. And this is probably one such instance.
Marie, Valentino and angel Beau