Re: [pyrnet] ice, leash, wandering

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 2:05 PM
Subject: [pyrnet] ice, leash, wandering

Dear Marie,

I'm sorry not to respond any sooner; I just found out I've got mono and haven't been up to too much writing

I am sorry you are so ill. Please be careful with mono. It can cause liver damage. Please make sure they monitor your liver function. And get plenty of rest.

Anyway, I appreciate your and others' frankness about the Pyr temperament and your care in speaking forthrightly to me from your experience. I'm being more consistent with the leash,

I am glad you didn't take offense at my frankness. I didn't mean to be unkind. I just love animals and this breed in particular. And I would just hate to see something happen to your dogs. I have only been involved in rescue for about five years. And before that I was stupid enough to not neuter my sheltie. And to let him out unsupervised and off leash. And I paid for that stupidity when my sweet Dougal was hit by a car. Trying to cross the street to visit a girlfriend. He lived for several hours after the accident. And I still hate myself to this day because I caused his death because of my lack of animal education. That will haunt me for the rest of my life. As you see. I have been on both sides of the fence. So I know whereof I speak.

However, when we actually go out for a walk or hike, she is different, off her own territory and in a different mode. I let her (and other dog, Katie) run along with me up to a neighbor's rugged steep yard and waterfall, and they chase each other in circles and always come back when I call. Incidentally, when we walked earlier today, Sugar went to the frozen pond to drink some water. The OFF ICE command (which someone wrote to suggest) worked well;
Suzanne

I will urge you again to please keep your dogs on lead. You can get retractable leads that can give the dogs the illusion of freedom. While still keeping them safe. All it takes is one accident and your babies could be gone. If you are irresponsible with their safety you can't take it back. And they pay for the consiquences.
Marie, Valentino and angel Beau