Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20020112

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 10:43 AM

I'm also thinking of putting an electronic fence around the whole nearly-acre property, and I recall the discussions about the pros/cons of such fences in the recent past. In my situation, could it work?

I just recieved a call just yesterday from a woman who wants to rehome her  female pry because her dog would not stay in her yard with an electronic fence. What does this tell me? Electronic fences do not work long term. I'm sorry, but they don't.

My girls love to run and romp in the woods, and I'm having a hard time being content, myself, with tethers and the idea of a small run. Moreover, an actual wooden or metal fence would look really odd in our neighborhood, with mostly open wooded yards; my husband is dead-set against it; and the costs are prohibitive for us.

Suzanne

Most of the people here have been very frank with you about the pyr temperament and behavior. If your husband is dead set against the type of fencing these dogs need in order to be safe. Then your only other responsible choice is to walk your dogs on lead. The dogs may not like it. And you may not like it. But if you continue to let these dogs run in the woods. It is only a matter of time until they are lost, injured or killed. A dog on the loose is a dog in jeopardy. Plain and simple. I know this because I do pyr rescue. I have seen dogs who get lost and are starved down to the bone. My own Valentino is just such a dog. Dogs that are injured being hit by cars and the owners don't want to take responsibility for the injuries they caused by being irresponsible. Dogs that won't stay in their unfenced yards. I've heard every excuse in the book. And the greatest majority of these dogs in rescue could have been prevented had the owner done what was in the dogs best interest. Instead of their own. Please don't think I am trying to be harsh or unkind. But with me it is more important that the dog or dogs be protected. I do not tell people to take unwarranted risks with their dogs. Risks that can be prevented. And all it costs is a little inconvenience for the owner.
Marie, Valentino and angel Beau