Re: [pyrnet]Abe

I have been breeding now for 30 years.  Somehow over those years the pain and disappointment associated hardens you and steels you against the suffering that one encounters along the way.  But somehow there comes along that special dog or puppy that blasts through all the defenses.

Abe was one of those.  So I wrote this to help me, as I lost him just an hour or so ago.  He was very special in many ways even at his age, but his courage and character made him even more.

I wanted you to get to know him even a little while he was fresh in my mind.  He is worthy and deserving of such.

Joe

Abe
I lost Abe today
He was not here but 15 weeks
8 weeks of those he was sick
Parvo attacked him at 7 weeks
He survived the Parvo virus initially
It left him with no immune system or veins.

Abe, with the help of many, fought a long mighty battle
One opportunistic infection after another
They attacked his knees, shoulders and others parts of his little body
In the end they got to his lungs

Abe was an all white male puppy
One of 11, but he somehow stood out early
Lying spread eagle in the whelping box
That posture that lets you know those hips will always be great.
One happy, gentle little soul that never was really sad or gave up.

Abe always kissed everyone
Today as I left him with the Vet, just hours from death
Abe said goodbye to me with a flap-flap of his tail
Always flapping his tail even when moaning in joint pain.
When he felt well enough Abe would talk back to you
Kind of a high dog chortle, It said "I love you".

Dignity and grace in such a little body
Special dog from a very special breed
His breed beauty was special
His fighting, loving heart more special
It hurts so bad to say good bye to this little Cavalier

I feel so bad he had to suffer so long in his little life
I will always remember Abe
Such a special privilege to know him, even this briefly
How can such a baby be so courageous

Abe, I cannot stand it that you are gone
But I am, even now, glad for you the struggle is over
Now, I just need to pick it up and go on
Your little face will help me do that and the flap of your little tail.

Joe Gentzel
January 20, 2002