Re: [pyrnet] Bored Baby

..............instead I ended up
with 5 pyrs. (:o.  Besides living in the southwest is such a
challenge in the gardening end, that I just knew a goat would eat all
my hard earned flowers for lunch....

You mean the Pyrs don't wreck your garden???

One of the most stupid things I've ever done was around Pyrs and my garden.  Last summer when Belle's litter of 7 puppies were eight weeks old, and only days away from going home I decided in an impatient fit of misplaced optimism to make myself a little English herbaceous garden.  I spent $300 on Lilies, Hollyhocks, Chrysanthemums  etc and set them in a little area by the house which I fenced in with netting to keep the pups out.  We have a big property with lots of room for the dogs to run, so all went well.  That is, until (and this was the stupid bit) I decided my garden needed some nutrition to help it along.  As I stood there merrily scattering bone meal over my plants the effect on the dogs was amazing.  Although the pups were yards away and minding their own business, they all immediately  lifted their heads as they caught a whiff of this enticing new smell.  In one movement all seven (by now quite large) pups plus Mum literally STAMPEDED towards my garden, and despite my yells and other discouraging words (many of them four lettered I admit), they trampled the netting fence, hurling themselves into my perennials , rolling, thrashing, digging and romping all over my plants until they were quite flattened.  Pulverized in fact.  Despite my best efforts, there was to be no persuading the pups away from  what was obviously dog heaven and I could only watch helplessly as my beautiful flowers become a sad squished mess.

Adding to this their love of digging huge holes to lie in on hot days and digging huge holes to roll in the mud on wet days, I've come to the conclusion you can have a garden *or* pyrs but not both and now I resign myself to having a wonderful 'wilderness' garden, with my beautiful white (ish) balls of fluff romping around freely!

Mary (no more green fingers).