Re: [pyrnet] Pens and ground cover

In a message dated 1/20/02 6:25:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, Foxe2n10ec@aol.com writes:

if you
scoop poop every day. The rain washes everything else down through the rocks.
I'd prefer a thicker layer than I have right now -- about 4 ".

They will probably eventually dig down and mix the rock with soil.  Some people put heavy wire below the rocks, but this will eventually rust out.  Some put Concrete block on its side with the holes facing up.  Rock fills the holes and they will drain pretty well although it will get packed and need to redone from time to time.  All this works some.  We finally gave up many years ago and put down concrete.  It works fine and no real problems.  Others disagree, but it does not break down the feet as people say, that is if the feet are good to start with.  It will not stain the coat if the concrete is sealed and cleaned on a regular basis (daily).  So, no perfect answers, but some that work for different people.

Joe