[pyrnet] Male aggression anad neutering

Good Morning everyone,

I'm glad people enjoyed my tale about my gardening experiences.  It took me a while to be able to laugh about it myself!

And Joe, so sorry to hear about Abe.  I honour you for giving so much of your self and your heart and for choosing to see the beauty in this sad experience.  Thanks for sharing it.

I have a question about male aggression and neutering that some of you may be able to help me with.

Our three Pyrs, Rowan (dad), Belle (mum) and Bear (son) have always got along well.  They are all very sweet natured dogs.  I remember how taken aback Rowan was when he came into the whelping room the morning after Belle's pups were born.  He sniffed her, sniffed the pups and I could almost see the wheels turning in his mind as he added two and two together.  Then with a look of utter horror he turned and fled.  However he seemed to get used to the idea and once the pups were up and about he was always very gentle and tolerant of them and also of the other smaller animals we have.

Now Bear is nine months old and he and Rowan are starting to engage in growly behaviour with each other, especially when Belle is nearby.  It has always been my intention to neuter Bear (and I think we will spay Belle too as we don't want more pups), and a vet told me that it is best to spay large breed males as late as possible so as not to interfere with their growth.  Bear is a BIG dog.  Tall and well built, already bigger than his mum and nearly as big as Rowan.

So Questions....
Any advice as to the best time to neuter Bear?
Will neutering him reduce/stop  the growly behaviour between him and Rowan?
Is this growly behaviour anything to worry about anyway?
Would spaying Belle be enough to reduce the friction between the two males?
Will neutering Bear make a difference to his guardian instincts?

Thanks for any feedback,

Mary.