[pyrnet] high-alert barking

Hello friends,

A question arose this morning: I went out for our usual 6:30 a.m. walk, and a neighbor, who has a large dog, a Lab mix but almost as big as a Pyr, and not at all socialized, was loose. He ran toward us, and of course Sugar, my Pyr, went into high gear. She lunged, ran, barked, and barked a very different high-pitched bark, almost like a wounded-dog bark. Yet the dogs never touched. I managed to pull her into line and calm her down, but back in the house she has been very antsy, both wanting affection and reassurance and acting tough and growling as she patrols the different rooms. So how do I respond to this kind of loud barking, esp. when we're trying to control barking overall (with a collar, which we've had about a week)? My gut reaction was to comfort her, tell her she was brave and did her job protecting us, which she seemed to want to hear.

Thanks,
Suzanne