Re: [pyrnet] Misery, and Newman's training

Rhonda wrote: <<So he backs up a few feet and I say, "Down" and
he goes down, and I'll toss
him a treat. I tell him to Wait, and he lays his head down and
glowers at me. >>   (snip)
<< "Get down" off the couch is a bit tougher. He loves looking
out the window.>>

These two statements speak volumes, and it is a common mistake
many people make. One thing we must remember, is that 'Down' is
'Down' (lay down), 'Sit' is 'Sit' (sit down), so what is 'Get
Down'? Very confusing for the dog, as you are using the same
command for 2 different behaviors. So, instead of 'Get Down', we
use 'Off!', which means off whatever it is you are on at the
moment. In our house it means off the person, off the sofa, off
the fence, etc. Completely different command for a completely
different expected behavior.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com