Re: [pyrnet] drug reaction

Hi Ann, glad Ivy rose is back to her old self. If the steroid in
the tube is prednisone, yes it has this effect. Even when applied
topically. Although Ivy Rose is probably more susceptible than
some. Molly was on Pred as her DM treatment, which did help
considerably, but the side effect was frequent drinking and
urination. I avoid Pred and other steroids at all costs (when
possible) but with Molly, it was a last ditch effort so I just
couldn't see the harm. Pred or euthanisia, no contest. Cortisone
is very similar to Pred. So the steroid in the cream certainly
could have been cortisone as well. I've used Cortisone sparingly
with the dogs, and only when nothing else works. At the moment,
I'm researching the correlation of long term, low dose Pred use
and Osteosarcoma and other cancers in dogs. Anyone know of any
good links out there?

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com