Re: [pyrnet] Don't get no respect

Bo has always been a butthead for nails. Lots of Pyrs are. We even resorted to tranquilizers. Didn't work. Someone else I know trims nails in the bathtub, as the dogs seem to behave much better being on a slippery surface. Make brushing a team sport. <G> Start with the conditioning spray and the rear of the dog. (since he likes the rear done the least) One of you stand at his head and shovel bits of treat in his mouth while tyhe other grooms. Once he starts to get out of hand, stop grooming. Wait a half hour or so and start the process all over again. They tend to learn relatively quickly that grooming in a good thing. Years ago I had a bitch that hated grooming. This worked quite well for her. But then, so did grooming and paying attention to the other dog. She ended up loving the grooming and standing like a rock. Generally, I groomed them on the picnic table. Easier on my back. Then I bought a grooming table. That grooming noose that goes around their neck works wonders. <G>

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com