[pyrnet] Fwds. from Vet as promised on Strokes and heart attacks.

There are 3 posts contained here, and they are forwarded with the express permission of the author. She has also stated, that since she is not a member of this list, that anyone wishing to discuss this further may contact her privately. Consequently, I have left her email address attached to her original posts. If you do decide to discuss this further, please remember that this woman is a Vet and a professional, and even if you disagree, please do so politely. TIA

<<Stroke has a specific medical definition which describes a specific
pathological condition. It does not occur in dogs. The pathology causing the
symptoms we see in dogs is not the same as a stroke. One more way in which
dogs are not little humans and cannot always be treated the same way.

If the list-mom does not mind, I would recommend that those of you with
veterinary medical concerns keep the following web address handy:
www.vetmedcenter.com . This website is very informative. It has information
for pet owners and veterinary professionals. It is my favorite on-line
veterinary reference. Check it out. Share with your vet.

Lisa Kaylene Powell, DVM
LKPDVM@hotmail.com >>

<<
Your dog had vestibular syndrome. Many vets will use the term 'stroke'
because people are familiar with it and feel they have an understanding of
it. 'Vestibular syndrome' is unfamiliar and vague. Vets will also say a dog
had a 'heart attack', when that is also impossible by medical definition. Of
course, we seem to use that one for any time a dog drops over dead
unexplained.

Sometimes people find comfort in an explanation, even when we know it is
false. We treat the owners, too, you know.

Lisa Kaylene Powell, DVM
LKPDVM@hotmail.com >>

<<Strokes are the result of a burst blood vessel or aneurism in the brain.
Damage is often profound and recovery is long-term. Vestibular syndrome is
thought to be due to cerebravascular accidents, which are due to
microthromboemboli (tiny blood clots) which lodge in the capillaries of the
brain, and cause an ischemic episode. Recovery is rapid. By the way, I just
read that CVAs and/or other vascular problems may not be the cause of
vestibular syndrome, and the cause remains unknown.

Heart attacks are due to the accumulation of plaque in heart vessels which
eventually occludes blood flow. Plaque formation does not occur in the dog.

The average person does not know what causes a stroke, but they 'know' what
one is. Your vet could spend and hour or more trying to explain something to
you, at a time when you are upset, or he/she could say 'stroke'. It is not a
deliberate attempt to dupe anyone or treat anyone like a simpleton. Chris is
right. It's like when the doctor says you have the 'flu'.

This is a subject for another time. Perhaps we will someday have an author
who has written a book about veterinarians. Why build a watch when someone
asks you the time?

Lisa Kaylene Powell, DVM
LKPDVM@hotmail.com >>

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com