[pyrnet] Anthromorphizing animals

On some of the domesticated animal lists that I have been subscribed
to over the years (cats, dogs, birds, horses, ducks,chickens...) I
note that there seems to be a range of anthromorphing from almost
total to nil. I think I fall toward the further end, because I seldom
relate to my guys as though they were humans in fur. I have had what
*I* would consider deep relationships with several of my cats, past
and present, and I have a caring and concerned relationship with my
dogs. I have had to deal with death many times (cats) through disease
or accident (cars). I have grieved, for some more than others, but
have gone on. I haven't had to deal with the passing of one of my
dogs yet, but I don't think it will be different.

What I'm wondering is when people are more likely to anthromorphize?
When I was single and when I had no children, I invested a lot of
emotional energy in the one cat I had. When we had visitors, we
talked about her as though she was a baby. A lot of the conversation
revolved around her.  After I  had my first (human) son, I did not
continue the same *sort* of intense interaction. I got a companion
cat for my buddy cat.  In retrospect, I would say I provide food,
shelter, medication, worrying over, petting and talking to, but not
intense bonding.

I also have quite a number of animals- birds, rabbit, fish, ducks,
chickens, 5 cats and my 2 dogs. I think it may be harder to be as
intense when one has many to share time and space with. For example,,
if I can't find a chicken, I've been out with flashlights late at
night looking for it. I've taken a chicken to the vet for a $300 bill
(swallowed a sinker). I feel responsible, but not in "love", if you
know what I mean. I like animals. I like to know they are there. My
life would be less rich. However, except for Bunster, everyone has
their "own kind" to bond with.

My parents were farm kids and they treated most animals casually. My
Dad loved his Lab and she was the only critter allowed in the house.
She went everywhere with him. I know he felt bad when she died of old
age, but he just let it go. He had a bond with this dog, but had been
known to actually shoot another instead of taking it to the vet
(which I will *never* understand/forgive).  I would say I am much
more involved than they ever thought to be relationship wise.

So, is how you treat your animals in part how your parents treated
theirs?Your psychological makeup/needs?  A function of how many
others you have?  Whether you have kids at home? Am I likely to be
more involved with my guys (Anthromorphing) when my kids grow up and
move away? Or does that also have to do with how many activities one
involves oneself with (outside pet related activities like showing,
etc. which can reinforce anthromorphing sometimes). Also, if you are
married, is one of you more likely to anthromorph than the other?

Thanks for your insights,

Sue (taking Jack the terrier to Vet today for skin condition,
hopefully NOT a repeat of sarcoptic mange like last year)