Re: [pyrnet] More on Newman's "dangling participles"

In a message dated 2/22/02 7:56:30 AM Eastern Standard Time, rhonda@castlepublishing.com writes:

But his peeing on the floor is not good for MY health! It makes me hypertensive and downright nasty!

You might need to find another place for him to stay.  If you are not going to neuter him and the other suggestions fail, you will have to remove the dog from the offending area.

It may not happen to your dog, but these are the type situations that result in the displaced dogs we see all the time now.  Part of responsible pet ownership is neutering/spaying pets.  These are decisions that needed to be make long time ago and it is obvious that a critical assessment was not made when the decision was made to get the dog.

Now you would like an intact male who has started the instinctual marking of males and is being kept in your house to revise his age old instincts.  Happens sometimes, but what is wrong with this scenario?  Neutering is one alteration of the dog that works sometimes after the behavior has started, but even that now is not a sure thing.  Your chances of success go down dramatically every minute and refusal to not be able to follow the best advise is courting failure.  I suspect the dog will be the looser in the end if these conflicts continue as you describe them.

Our concern mostly on this list is for the dogs welfare, so most of us are not going to be too concerned about the human part of it except how it may play out on the dog itself.

Joe