[pyrnet] CHAT: Outrageous! Inhumane Treatment of Lost Pets by County in OH!

This was forwarded to me by a friend. She is working on getting
more email addresses for government officials. You may, or may
not want to view the video. Here is a direct link to the story.
http://www.actionnewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?s=762779  If you
use the link below, you must put the complete headline in the
"search" box. Hard to believe this sort of thing happens in the
21st century, right here in the USA, and is condoned by the
county government. forwarded message below.

  <<You can see Scott Taylor's story on Morgan County on Channel
19 at:

  http://www.actionnewsnow.com

  It's the Action  News Video for April 29

  Channel 10 will be airing it tonight along with added footage
from
  Pike County and perhaps a dog being killed by LI at FCAS.

  Lost Pets Being Shot, Dumped Into Mass Graves By County
  McCONNELSVILLE, Ohio – Action News' Scott Taylor traveled to
Morgan County to find out why more than 600 pets were shot and
killed by the local dog warden last year and dumped into mass
graves.

  His report was an Action News exclusive investigation.

  "That right there is the face of an unwanted dog," Ohio Humane
Education Association spokeswoman Lori Godby said, pointing out a
dead animal in the grave. "That was shot probably in the eye, and
thrown in there dead."

  It's routine practice in Morgan County. After county dog warden
Jeff Driggs puts a bullet in your pet's head, it's tossed into a
mass grave.

  When asked if he thought shooting dogs was a humane method of
controlling the pet population, Driggs said, "Yes it is."

  The American Veterinary Medical Association disagreed with
Driggs' assessment. An AVMA spokesperson said that when it comes
to routine euthanasia at shelters, gunshots should not be used.

  Emily Matusek, of the Ohio Humane Education Association, said
that she wants the practice stopped.

  "It's horrible. It's just horrible," Matusek said.

  "It looked like they were trying to claw there way out," she
said of some of the dead animals.

  So far this year, Driggs has shot 103 dogs. Only six have made
it out alive through adoption or redemption by their owners.

  Morgan County Commissioner Ron Moore told Action News that the
dog warden reported that at least 600 dogs were shot last year.

  When asked how many dogs he shot last week, Driggs said, "I
don't have any idea."

  He added, "I don't have anything to say to you guys."

  Matusek said that the county should be ashamed of itself
because there should be people caring enough to "do something
about it."

  It might all be legal in Ohio for now, but Matusek said that
it's just not the right way to treat man's best friend.

  The county justifies the violent policy for pets by saying that
it's cheap.

  If you're outraged by Morgan County's policy for controlling
the pet population, you could express your displeasure by
contacting Morgan County Commissioner Ron Moore at (740)
962-3183. You could also send him a message via e-mail at
ron_moore@mnp.net.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com