Re: [pyrnet] Re: Romy

Pano= Panosteitis or "growing pains". When the long bones of the
legs grow too fast. I had "growing pains" as a kid. Generally
occurs during or just after a big growth spurt. Relatively common
in larger breeds. Self limiting in that as the growth slows down,
the pano goes away. As far as the Brewer's Yeast and Garlic goes,
I have a friend who is a breeder and she had pano problems in
several of her litters. Since adding Brewer's Yeast and Garlic
tabs to their diet, she's not had any problems at all. They are
really quite cheap, and Petsmart or Petco. as well as other Pet
Supplies should carry them. I used to buy (I think) a jar of
5,000 from the dog supply catalogs. I do know of one case of an
older dog getting pano, but he had been severely undernourished
for most of his young life. Once rescued from his situation and
fed properly, he had a growth spurt and had pano. He was about 2
at the time. To the best of my knowledge, he's not had any
trouble since.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com