RE: [pyrnet] Re: Stockguard: Aggression Q. and thank you

Hi, This email is in NO way to offend, but to help educate you... as you
asked.

Speaking as someone who had a long hard battle with aggression and health
problems with her beloved "backyard bred" Pyr......I'm not sure about what
you are calling "berating" as I did not see anything but respectful sound
suggestions to spay/neuter your dogs on the list.
If you received some "berating" in private emails, that is really too bad
and I'm sorry. Although maybe uncalled for, you should understand that the
people on this list care deeply for the breed and are trying to protect it,
and can get really passionate about it.

They have seen the horrors of Rescue, and work tirelessly in their efforts
to save them.

If your dogs are companion and or guardians, the responsible thing to do is
have them spay/neutered. Please see this excellent article from the GPCA
Rescue Chair, about temperament problems seen in Pyr's who were bred
irresponsibly:
Rescue Thought's by Janet Ingram, GPCA Rescue Chair
http://www.pyrbred.org/rescthts.html
No one wants to breed a litter of pups, only to have them die or put to
sleep at a early age.

Even if you don't plan on breeding....accidents happen!

If you do....Have your dogs been tested and passed all the necessary genetic
health certification, like Hips, eyes, etc?

-Do you know the history of the temperaments and health in their lines?
Genetic problems can and do arise in future generations.

-Do your dogs conform to the Standard? How do you know?

-Are you willing to be responsible for each and every pup for the rest of
their lives....even after they are sold? And take them back if necessary to
keep them out of shelters?

These and many more questions have to be answered BEFORE you consider
breeding.

Please, even if you think your dogs are wonderful, healthy specimens of the
breed...I invite you to read my In Memory page about my boy Zeus, to
understand the horrible pain can happen if these precautions are not taken.
http://regaliapyrs.tripod.ca/Imemory.htm

Then feel free to read through the pages that describe what a Responsible
breeder is.

Respectfully,

Sariena Foley
http://regaliapyrs.tripod.ca/index.htm
Dedicated, in loving memory to my boy Zeus -February 14, 00-September 27, 01
Educational site about the Great Pyrenees and facts about the
ONLY reliable source to obtain one.......a RESPONSIBLE breeder!