RE: [pyrnet] Rescue/breeder "poll"

The problem with this is, when we breed a litter and become breeders we must
become Breeders with a capital "B" and take every precaution possible with
the wellbeing of our pups and our breed at the top of our priorities along
with trying to produce good tempered, sound, dogs to the standard which can
do the job for which they were originally bred and hopefully measure up to
the old greats like Estat (and several other) in the ring, working ability
as well as a few that can go on to produce these qualities.

Although responsible Breeders vary, some are not quite as "picky" as I am
and some a bit more.  I personally still have a whole litter of six
two-year-old Cockers (my other breed).  We're keeping two to show, one as a
spayed pet just because she's so sweet but not quite structurally there,
have one that is being placed after she's spayed and two more that I just
haven't found the right homes for.

Unless some of you own a more "popular" breed than the Pyr (which I hope
they never get any more popular) then you probably have no idea what kind of
calls come in asking about purchasing one.  I hope I never get a call for a
Pyr because someone wants to cross it with something.  The two Cockers left
will be spayed/neutered but some people just can't get it through their
heads why they can't just have limited registration and breed this nice but
less than breeding quality Cocker to a Poodle.  A "Cockapoo" is not a breed,
it's a fancy name for a mixed breed.  Let's not go any further on this here
but if anyone has any questions, feel free to e-mail me privately.

As Breeders we are completely responsible for any and all dogs we produce
for their entire lives.  I know things happen but I hope and pray I will
always know if something goes wrong and be able to get the dog back.

For those unfortunate dogs who are born to breeders who don't care after the
sale, the rest of us have a duty to the breed to help those dogs.  They're
still Pyrs and given the chance, most are great pets.

Please don't think I'm attacking you Elaine, I just get a little worked up
about this sort of thing.

I don't want to go into a big long "thing" here so I'll just continue
saying, Breeders are responsible for the dogs they produce.

Chrissy

Maple Way
William H. Ingram, Jr. and Christina M. McConnell
"Chrissy & Billy"
Route 2, Box 30
West Union, WV 26456
(304) 873-2727