Re: [pyrnet] Chat: French National

Ian,
    Would love to be able to be there!  Just can't get away during the school year.  By my count there are more than 20 Pyr fanciers from the US who will be attending.
    Could you please post results and comments when you get back to your computer?  Would be wonderful to be able to find out about it.
Charlotte Perry (green with envy and staying at home)

Startrax wrote:

Will any of the listers be joining Wendy & I @ the French National next weekend?Ian

I hope that American visitors will not be disappointed at what they see if it is the first French show they attend. The French concept of a dog show is entirely different from that found in America.   Only a very small percentage of the dogs will have been bathed, although most will have been brushed in some way, none will have had any coat treatment, let alone the sculpturing seen on the top showdogs in America. There are no professional handlers, and outside attraction is allowed. The judges often consort with the judge in the next ring on various matters. Smoking and the use of cell phone in the ring is not frowned upon.  Not all of the dogs have the attributes typically ascribed to the "wonderful French lines" they have just as many faults, and more, in some cases as can be found in Pyrenean Mountain Dogs on any of the continents on which I have judged.   It is the homeland of the breed and there are many many very good dogs, it is just that these Pyreneans seem to have a certain elegance which is specific to France alone.  A very good French showdog would do well in most countries, as indeed would a top American or Scandinavian dog, but trust me when I say that that these top dogs are just as rare in France as good showdogs are anywhere else in the world.
It just seems to me that the French exhibitors are very laid back about the whole show scene, I have found that the most enthusiastic people at this show are the visitors!
Having said all that I am taking my new Scandinavian pup for a look at the French judge.
Will read you all again next week.
Ian