RE: [pyrnet] Isn't it funny.....

Hey Sandy,

I understand what you mean about an "alarm to her bark" most of the time
they seem to just bark to hear their own voice...at those times I don't even
get up to see what she is barking at any more.

When someone arrives, she has a certain bark, that lets me know someone's
here (different than the  "Hey mom a leaf just fell on OUR yard.." bark :)
But still not quite an "alarm bark"

But on the odd occasion she does go into an alarm bark...(different tone and
intensity) and I KNOW I should go and look.

I guess we get used to their different barks, and know which ones to listen
to...kind of like how mom's learn to know their kids "grouchy" cry, from the
"run quick.. their in pain!" cry.

Once a couple of my cows had lifted the gate off the barnyard fence and were
in the back yard. I was very proud that she stood in their path and kept
them between the main barn and the goat barn in front of the trampled gate.
(My cows learned to respect Zeus, so to them she was no different)

Another time she was out in the fenced field beside the house with my kids
and rang the alarm. I ran out to see what was the problem, and a VERY mangy
looking coyote was pacing back and forth in the middle of the county road in
front of our farm. It did not look right to me at all, and of course not to
her either. I immediately brought her and the kids inside.

What impressed me most was that she stuck to the kids like glue...standing
in front of them like an imposing statue, instead of running to the fence to
scare the coyote away.

Do to her VERY personable and CALM nature towards everyone she
meets..including invited dogs, I thought that she was indeed more suited to
family life than an LGD. But isn't it amazing that these dogs, pet or not,
still have the instinct to do what they are bred for....No matter how "coma
like" they seem, they do swiftly step up to the plate with surprising
intensity when necessary!

Thanks again Sandy, she's a dream...

BTW, the whole roll of film I took of her is being developed as we speak, so
pictures of my baby...um I mean my DH's baby <EG> will be up on my site
soon.

Sariena